Sunday, October 20, 2013

Ten things I've learned after living in Texas for three whole weeks.

Don't worry.  We didn't venture further.  Fun fact:  this is called a Bayou!

1.  Everyone says Ma'am.  It doesn't matter if it's the man at the gas station, the lady at the DMV or the guy serving us dinner at Red Robin.  So the question is, do I need to start saying it?  Do my kids?

2. The drivers around here are aggressive.  Seriously, get out of the way or speed up.  We saw 5 rear-ender car accidents in our first 3 or 4 days here.
"What's that?  You sat at the light for one millisecond after it turned green? BIG MISTAKE."  However, when the nice old lady flies past you at 75 MPH, she will look over with a smile and nod for getting out of her way.

3.  Even people who live in the heat, have always lived in the heat, will probably always live in the heat, complain about the heat.  Big time.

4.  If one lives in a tropical climate, one will have to regularly have their lawns, houses, and in our case, even the car sprayed for ants.  This does not mean that the walls are caving in or the house is rotten.  No need to cry oneself to sleep at night - it's just a fact of life here in Texas.

5.  Sweet tea is SWEET.  I mean really sweet.  Like it's really more of a syrup than a liquid, sweet. As an iced tea lover one of the first things I needed to try was the Southern Sweet Tea and I found that although tasty, I think I'll stick to unsweetened tea.

6.  Texans have a lot of trash.  At our home in Tacoma, we had trash pick up once every two weeks.  Here in Texas trash pick is TWICE A WEEK.  And people use it!  They throw everything to the curb.  The other day I noticed an antique trunk, a rice cooker and a stainless steel tea kettle, and these were all from different houses.  The second hand shopper in me has to practice serious restraint to not go out and pick it all up and re-sell it on Craigslist (or at the very least, take it to Goodwill).

7.  As soon as the weather drops below 85 degrees Texans start wearing jeans, sweaters and boots, scarves and even coats.  I think in comparison to summer weather, 85 is practically chilly.

8.  People from Texas (and maybe from the south in general?), really do say:  "Nice to meet you - you're from 'out west?'" Or:  "Sure!  I know where you're from.  I have an uncle that lives 'up north.'"

9. Texas BBQ tastes nothing like any BBQ that I've ever had "up north."  Or even "out west" for that matter.  I think we've been lied to all these years as to what [real] BBQ is supposed to taste like.  We're in love.

10. Don't try to rush a Texan.  We've quickly learned that things move a lot slower here.  Lines are long, slow moving and nobody seems to mind.  (That's probably why Texas drivers are in such a hurry!)  After impatiently tapping my toe, heaving big sighs of exasperation and peering around to the front to see what the hold up is, I've come to realize that this is just the way it is.

But seriously.  We really like it here.  One of my sisters asked me if it feels like we are in the "deep south".  And I've thought a lot about that.  And the answer is, no, it really doesn't.  It feels just like we could be in Seattle or any or any other city, except for the fact that there are balmy breezes, palm trees, flowers blooming in October and the sky is blue almost everyday.  We feel very fortunate and blessed to be here and are looking forward to getting to know this new place a lot better.  I just better learn to drive a little faster and take my tea a little sweeter.  ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you! I love everything you wrote and shared. ~n.

Anonymous said...

Fun post! It sounds like you're keeping a sense of humor. Now let's hear more about that BBQ :) ~Hilary

PolkaDottyPlace said...

Looks like you guys are settling into life nicely in Texas. I laughed at some of your comments - fall clothing starts showing up when the temps hit 85, BBQ being especially delicious in the south and the slow pace of southern living. I can relate :) Hope you have a great weekend!! Whitney

Oh to Be a Muse said...

I can't believe they really say "Out West". I used to live in Florida, so I know that people in the heat will always complain about the heat.

Come enter my Beauty & Jewelry $400 Giveaway!
http://www.ohtobeamuse.com/2013/11/lookbook-fall-leaves-fall.html