Wednesday, February 24, 2010

mud pies and other recipes

Havalah received the most delightful book for Christmas, called Mud Pies and Other Recipes-a Cookbook for Dolls. I sent it to bed with her the other night and asked her to pick out a few of her favorites to make the next day. Silly me. She came back with almost all the recipes marked, because how can a girl possibly choose just one when they are all and fun and whimsical, and best of all, messy. Here is what she made today.

Wood Chip Dip
In a little bowl mix dirt with water until it is as thick as paste. Place this bowl on a platter surrounded by wood shavings. Scoop the dip with the chip.

The reading from the tree part was her idea.


Here are some other favorites:







Here is a excerpt from the foreword on how to use this book: "You can use a tree stump for a counter. The sea makes a nice sink; so does a puddle at the end of a hose. For a stove there is the sun, or a flat stone. And ovens are everywhere. You'll find them under bushes, in sandboxes or behind tress. Cooking utensils should, whenever possible, be made from something that would otherwise be thrown away. Cutting the side from an empty mild carton leaves a perfect oaf pan, while slicing an inch or two from the bottom of another carton makes a good square cake pan. The bottom half of a heavy cardboard egg carton does nicely as a muffin tin and as a mold for individual cakes and pies."
Could that BE any more adorable?

6 comments:

Miller Moments said...

Only one word comes to mind: Lovely.

Hazel's mom said...

So glad the book was a hit. I wish I'd read them all before I wrapped it up - thanks for posting pages!

dawn said...

This book is adorable! Those sound like some of the first recipes I ever tried as a little girl. :)

Kristen Kill said...

You *know* I am going to go on Amazon right this second and buy this right?! I love it!! And, I'm completely jealous of your spring, by the way!

Kristen said...

Kristen~ this is exactly your type of book! You'll LOVE it! (and your girls will too. : )

Becky Long said...

I LOVE your Blog, Kristen!! I had that book when I was little and it brings back many memories. I think I will ask my Mom where it went....